Friday, March 16, 2012

Art + Maths

Last week, I spent a couple of days help hang an art exhibition.
How lovely you might think?

Well, there is more to hanging an exhibition than meets the eye; it's more than just holding up a pretty picture and whacking a nail into the wall. Hanging an exhibition requires skill and knowledge which all centres around... maths! (Gasp!)

Yep, you read correctly, hanging art requires mathematical knowledge! While you don't necessarily need to know the square root of pi (I don't know what I'm talking about here!) there is addition, subtraction and division involved, plus a tape measure, pencil, eraser & spirit level! Yep, hard work!
the essential tool for hanging an exhibition - the humble tape measure

So after two days of marking up & drilling (oh, I forgot the power tools) my brain felt a tad frazzled, but that could have something to do with my interrupted sleep (that's a story for another post) - luckily I'm not a nuclear scientist or brain surgeon!

What is the point of this post you might ask? I'm asking myself the same question! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Very funny Comare! I'm sure we could come up with a spreadsheet to help you with hanging art...
    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I knew you'd appreciate this post Comare! :)

    ReplyDelete